Waldemar Karwowski received the M.Sc. degree in production engineering and management from the University of Technology of Wroclaw, Poland in 1978, the Ph.D. degree in industrial engineering from Texas Tech University, USA, in 1982, and the D.Sc. degree in management science from ORGMASZ, Poland in 2004.
He is currently Professor and Chairman of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, and Executive Director, Institute for Advanced Systems Engineering, University of Central Florida, Orlando, USA. His research interests include human systems integration, human factors, safety, neuroergonomics, and applications soft computing and nonlinear dynamics to modeling of human-machine systems.
Dr. Karwowski is a Fellow of Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES), The Institute of Human Factors and Ergonomics (United Kingdom), and International Ergonomics Association (IEA). He serves as Co-Editor of the Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing and Service Industry journal (Wiley &Sons), and Co-Editor-in-Chief of Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science journal (Taylor and Francis, Ltd). He is past President of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (2007), and the International Ergonomics Association (2000-2003).
- Doctor of Science (dr hab.) in Management Science, State Institute for Organization and Management in Industry, Warsaw. Poland, June 2004.
- Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering, Department of Industrial Engineering, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas, December 1982.
- M.Sc. in Production Management (with highest honors), School of Management and Information Sciences, Technical University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland, 1978.
- CPE, Certified Professional Ergonomist, Certificate N 341, Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics P.E., Registered Professional Engineer (State of Texas, License No 61616)
- Doctor of Science Honoris Causa, South Ukrainian Odessa State Pedagogical University of Ukraine, Odessa, Ukraine, 2004.
- Honorary Doctorate in Engineering, Technical University of Kosice, Kosice, Slovakia, 2006.
- Honorary Doctorate in Engineering, Moscow State Institute of Radio, Electronics and Automation (MIREA Technical University), Moscow, Russia, 2007
- Human systems integration
- human performance
- cognitive engineering
- activity theory
- systems engineering
- human-computer interaction
- fuzzy logic and neuro-fuzzy modeling
- applications of nonlinear dynamics in human performance